New England’s favorite half distance triathlon! Discover why thousands have chosen the award-winning Patriot Half as their first half distance triathlon… and hundreds come back year after year.
The 2020 Patriot Half will be held Saturday, June 20, 2020 at Cathedral Camp in East Freetown, MA. This will be the 14th year of this award-winning race which was recognized as “Best Small Race“ (less than 1,000 athletes) an unprecedented 3x in the 2018, 2017 and 2013 “Triathlete’s Choice Awards” program and as “Best Triathlon” in the 2016 Best of Competitor Awards (Northeast). The Patriot features a 1.2 mile swim in Long Pond, the largest fresh water body of water in Massachusetts, a bike course offering 56 miles of beautiful roads with a few rolling hills and a 13.1 mile run along country roads, farms and lakes with aid stations at nearly every mile… plus special attention to the little things that set our events apart from the rest.
WIN A QUINTANA ROO BIKE WORTH $3,000+! Quintana Roo is the Official Tri Bike of our 2020 multisport race series which includes the Patriot Half, Whaling City Tri & Du, Cranberry Trifest and Pilgrimman Triathlon. The name of one lucky registrant to one of these races will win a PRfour Disc triathlon bike valued at $3,149… to be eligible to win all you need to do is register for one of these races, opt into the giveaway and then cross your fingers! The more races you enter, the more chances you have to win! Click here for complete contest details.
Here are 10 reasons to put the Patriot Half on your ‘A’ list of races for the season…
- An award winning race with a great reputation: The Patriot Half has won “Best Triathlon” in the Northeast by Competitor magazine and “Best Small Race” (less than 1,000 athletes) in the Triathlete’s Choice Awards in 2013, 2017 and 2018 (the only race to win this award THREE times!). This race has sold each of the last 10 years… ask around and you’ll learn why!
- Safety first: Your safety is our greatest concern. To ensure the safety of athletes we utilize plenty of lifeguards and medical professionals to support the swim, police details to help control traffic, volunteers along the bike and run courses, signage that alerts motorists a race is in progress, emergency medical staff on site and more.
- A gorgeous, convenient venue: The Patriot is held at Cathedral Camp which is situated on the shore of Long Pond and about a 45 minute drive from Boston, MA and Providence, RI. Cathedral Camp offers plenty of open space for spectators to hang out, relax and root on racers as well as parking right on site, just a short walk from transition.
- A rural, scenic setting: The swim is in beautiful Long Pond, the largest freshwater body of water in MA and the bike and run are along country roads where you’ll pass cranberry bogs, lakes and farms.
- A course “just right” for your first or next half: There’s no such thing as an “easy” half, but the swim is in the relatively calm and idyllic temperature waters of Long Pond (usually in the high 60s/ low 70s) and the bike and run are on roads which are generally flat with some rolling roads offering you just the right challenge — learn why thousands of athletes have chosen the Patriot as their first half!
- Excellent value: Other half distance triathlons can cost $300+; early bird registration for the Patriot triathlon is $270 through 10/11/19, which includes a first-class race with generous volunteer support, terrific swag (t-shirt, water bottle, other swag, finisher medal and more), race photos, a delicious post race catered meal and a chance at winning some valuable giveaways.
- An experienced, award-winning event production team: The Patriot Half is organized by Sun Multisport Events winner of the “Best Triathlon Series” in voting by athletes in the “Triathlete’s Choice Awards” and the same team behind other popular events including Cranberry Trifest , RACE-MANIA and the Barn to Run Trail Race Series. The core event management team has worked the Patriot Half for an average of 5+ years and Race Director, Mark Walter, has directed the event each year of it’s existence.
- Generous volunteer support:Volunteers are key to a successful race; we’ll have 150+ on hand to help you from registration and body marking right up to putting that finisher’s medal around your neck.
- Race along side teammates: Are you a member of a tri club? We rack members of teams together in transition so tell us what club you are a part of when you register and we’ll rack you along side teammates. (note: relay teams, elite and aquabike athletes are racked together regardless of team association)
- Attention to the “little things”: We pride ourselves on paying attention to the little — and not so little — things that add up to to an award-winning race experience that has exceeded the expectations of countless athletes. A strong focus on safety, superior organization, friendly staff, generous volunteer support, personalized rack positions, gender-specific t-shirts, and a water bottle wrapped in a cold hand towel at the finish are just some of the things you can expect from a Sun Multisport Events production.
BONUS reason! If you’re racing Ironman Lake Placid, the Patriot Half is the ideal tune-up. Patriot is 5 weeks before IMLP and gives anyone racing that race a good test of your fitness. And if you want to be careful about the number of miles you’re running, the Patriot Half aquabike (swim-bike only) is the perfect option.
Event Date and Location: The Patriot Half will be on Saturday, June 20, 2020. Paratriathlete athletes will start at 6:50am and subsequent waves will begin going starting at 7:00am. The site of the race is Cathedral Camp located at 167 Middleboro Road in East Freetown, MA on the shores of Long Pond.
Event Distance: Swim: 1.2 miles (1 loop); Bike 56 miles; Run: 13.1 miles (1 loop); Aquabike athletes complete the same 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike course as athletes doing the triathlon
Cut-off Times: Athletes must complete the swim by 9:00am, the bike course by 12:45pm and the the run course by 3:00pm. Event management reserves the right to withdraw athletes from the course that have gone past these cut-off times.
Age Groups: Standard USA Triathlon age divisions in five year increments (e.g. 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, etc.). Your age group is determined by your age on December 31, 2020! MINIMUM AGE: 17 years old as of December 31, 2020.
Special Divisions: There will be Clydesdale (Men, 220+ lbs), Athena (Women, 165+ lbs), Paratriathlete and Aquabike (swim and bike only) divisions.
All male & female Aquabike athletes will start in the last swim wave and then bike the same course as other athletes doing all three legs of the triathlon. Aquabike athletes receive a finisher medal and the same swag as athletes doing the full triathlon.
Awards and Cash Prizes: Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female finishers in each age group as well as to the top 3 Athenas, Clydesdales and Paratriathletes.
The Aquabike category will be divided into 2 age group divisions. The age groups will be determined by splitting the field in half as evenly as possible based on age. The 2019 Aquabike field age groups were Age 49 and Under and Age 50+.
All 3 members of the 1st place male, female and mixed relay teams will also receive an award.
A cash prize purse of $1,000 will also be distributed to the first ($300) and second ($200) place male and female finishers in the Open/Elite category. You MUST race in the Open/Elite category to be eligible to win prize money. If you race as an age grouper and still finish as one of the two fastest overall males or females you still won’t be eligible to win prize money. If you think you have a shot at prize money, register in the Elite/Open category.
Awards for athletes in the Aquabike category will be distributed at approximately 12:30pm. Awards in all other categories will be given out at approximately 1:30pm.
Overnight Bike Check: Athletes have the opportunity to check their bike into transition during packet pick-up hours (4pm-7pm) the day before the race (Fri, 6/19). All athletes who wish to check in their bike will need to first go to packet pick-up to get their bike sticker with their bib number and then affix that number to their bike. Only bikes with bike number stickers affixed to their bikes will be admitted into transition and the athlete must also show their matching run bib#. Security will be in place from the conclusion of packet pick-up on Friday until transition re-opens on race morning at 5am. Athletes are not required to check in their bike the night before the race. This is an option we are offering as a convenience to athletes.
Post Race Meal, Music and Giveaways: All athletes are invited to enjoy the post-race catered meal which will include vegetarian and gluten free food options. There will be plenty of picnic tables to sit at as well as some shady spots to enjoy a well-earned feast! The post-race meal will be accompanied by music from our DJ, live music (band to be announced), the awards ceremony and valuable giveaways from sponsors.
FREE Race Photos: Photos of athletes will be taken by a professional photographer and posted online post-event. Each athlete will be able to download 1 photo for free and download additional photos for a fee.
USA Triathlon Membership: The Patriot is a USAT sanctioned event. All athletes must (a) present a valid, current USAT Annual Membership Card at registration OR (b) purchase a 1-day USAT license. If you are an annual member, but forget to bring your card you will be required to purchase a 1-day license.
Important Rules: USA Triathlon rules will apply. Please review the rules at www.USATriathlon.org. There will be USAT Officials present at the event. Three areas of common violations are (1) Drafting, (2) Blocking and (3) Centerline. To avoid drafting violations you must stay at least 3 bike lengths behind the competitor in front of you. When attempting to pass you must do so within 15 seconds. Blocking violations are assessed for failing to ride to the right (except when passing). Centerline violations are incurred when cyclists cross the yellow centerline of the road. HELMETS ARE REQUIRED. Chin strap must be buckled at ALL times you are on the bike even in the transition area. Handlebars/aerobars must have bar-end plugs securely inserted into the bar. Taping over bar ends is not permitted. Lack of bar end plugs will result in disqualification.
The Patriot Half is a USAT sanctioned event. USAT Annual members will need to have a valid USAT license on race day. If you are not an annual member, you will be required to purchase a 1-day USAT license for $15. Your entry fee includes:
- An award winning race experience
- Great swag including t-shirt, water bottle and 1-2 other items
- Finisher medal
- Live results published online so friends & family can track you
- 1 race photo
- A post-race catered meal
- Eligibility for valuable giveaways from our sponsors
2020 registration fees are listed below.
- $270 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $280 from 10/12/19 through 10/31/19
- $290 from 11/1/19 until the race sells out or until the close of online registration (which ever comes first)
Triathlon, Relay Team:
- $350 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $365 from 10/12/19 through 10/31/19
- $380 from 11/1/19 until the race sells out or until the close of online registration (which ever comes first)
- $260 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $270 from 10/12/19 through 10/31/19
- $280 from 11/1/19 until the race sells out or until the close of online registration (which ever comes first)
Triathlon, Individual + Triathlon Skills Training Camp
The Triathlon Skills Training Camp led by the coaches of Breakthrough Performance Coaching is June 6, 2020 at Cathedral Camp in East Freetown MA, site of the Patriot Half. While this camp is gear towards any triathlete looking to get more out of their training, it is especially valuable to athletes participating in the Patriot Half as it includes swimming, cycling and running on the Patriot course.
- $395 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $415 from 10/12/19 through 10/31/19
- $425 from 11/1/19 until the race sells out or until the close of online registration (which ever comes first)
Triple Dog Dare:
It’s back! The Triple Dog Dare challenges you to race 3 different Sun Multisport races at 3 different distances and pay one great price. The TDD includes the Patriot Half, the Cranberry Trifest Olympic and the SME sprint distance triathlon of your choice. Our sprints include the Whaling City Triathlon (7/19/20 in New Bedford, MA) and Cranberry Trifest Sprint (8/15/20 in Lakeville, MA). Pricing for the Triple Dog Dare is:
- $419 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $429 from 10/12/19 through until all TDD race entries are sold
The “Aquabike Delight” is for athletes that favor Aquabike racing (swim + bike only). The Aquabike Delight is a 2-race package that consists of the Patriot Half Aquabike and the Cranberry Trifest Olympic Aquabike (8/25/19 in Lakeville, MA) and offers athletes great savings.
- $349 from opening of registration on 10/1/19 through 10/11/19
- $359 from 10/12/19 until the race sells out or until the close of online registration (which ever comes first)
Event Timeline (tentative):
Friday, June 19, 2020:
VERY IMPORTANT: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PICK UP A RACE PACKET FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELF AND ALL ATHLETES MUST PRESENT A PHOTO ID… NO ID, NO RACE, NO EXCEPTIONS. ALL MEMBERS OF A RELAY TEAM MUST REPORT IN TOGETHER.
- 4:00pm-7:00pm: Packet pick-up/athlete check-in at Cathedral Camp (167 Middleboro Road, East Freetown, MA)
- 5:00pm: Q&A with the Patriot Half race director, Mark Walter, under the tent next to the finish line. Still got questions? You’ll get answers!
- 5:30pm-6:45pm: Practice swim in Long Pond at the swim start; while the 1.2 mile course will likely be fully marked by this time the practice swim is in a smaller, designated area only; athletes are NOT permitted to swim beyond the designated practice swim area
Saturday, June 20, 2020 (RACE DAY!):
VERY IMPORTANT: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PICK UP A RACE PACKET FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELF AND ALL ATHLETES MUST PRESENT A PHOTO ID… NO ID, NO RACE, NO EXCEPTIONS. All members of a relay team must come to packet pick-up together.
- 5:00am: Transition opens; body marking and packet pick-up/athlete check-in begins at Cathedral Camp (167 Middleboro Road, East Freetown, MA)
- 6:00am: Lifeguard supported warm-up swim permitted in Long Pond in designated warm-up zone.
- 6:30am: All athletes must be checked-in; pre-race meeting with Race Director (athletes must be in/around transition)
- 6:45am: Warm-up swim ends; all athletes must be out of the water
- 7:00am: Wave 1, male & female Elite/Open athletes
- 9:00am: All athletes must have completed the swim course
- 12:30pm: Aquabike awards ceremony (est. time)
- 12:45pm: All athletes must have completed the bike course
- 1:30pm: Triathlon awards ceremony (est. time)
- 3:00pm: All athletes must have completed the run course
Cut-off Times: Athletes must complete the swim by 9:00am, the bike course by 12:45pm and the the run course by 3:00pm. Event management reserves the right to withdraw athletes from the course that have gone past these cut-off times.
Description of the swim, bike and run courses for the Patriot Half courses are below.
The Swim (Cut-off time: 9:00am): The 1.2 mile swim is the calm waters of Long Pond. The swim course is a counterclockwise rectangular swim with that will have lifeguards stationed all along the route in kayaks and boats ready to assist if needed. The water temperature the last 4 years of the race have been: 67F (2019), 68F (2018), 71F (2017), 71F (2016). Wetsuits have been allowed each year of the race. There is a separate swim start and finish and the finish brings racers right into transition. For spectators, there are plenty of photo opportunities. Click here for a map of the swim course.
There will be an estimated 10 swim waves. Each wave will be organized by race category (e.g. Age Group, Elite, Athena, etc.). Wave 1 will feature Elite athletes starting at 7:00am. The Elite wave will start with a traditional “all at once” start on “Go!”. Athletes in subsequent waves will start the race following a time trial format. These athletes will enter the swim corral and go into the water side-by-side, 3 at a time, every 10 seconds. There will be 3 lanes leading from the swim corral to the timing mat to help organize this procession. An athlete’s time begins when he/she crosses the timing wire buried in the sand at the water’s edge. You must complete the swim by 9:00am or you will not be allowed to continue in the race.
PLEASE NOTE: Swimming in Long Pond at Cathedral Camp is STRICTLY PROHIBITED unless a lifeguard is on duty. We understand athletes like to familiarize themselves with the body of water they will be swimming in on race day, but you are not allowed to just show up and swim in Long Pond. Athletes swimming in Long Pond without a lifeguard is a liability for Cathedral Camp and if it continues it will jeopardize the future of the race. PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS REQUEST OF RACE MANAGEMENT.
Warm-up Swims: Athletes will have an opportunity to go for a practice/warm-up swim in Long Pond on Friday, 6/19 (time TBD; most likely it will be 5:00pm-6:45pm), and on race morning, 6:00am-6:40am. In both cases, a small, lifeguard supported area will be created for swimming (athletes will NOT be allowed to swim the entire 1.2 mile course).
Wetsuit Strippers: Wetsuit strippers will greet you at the swim finish to help you get your wetsuit off if you want it. If you’re looking for this assistance unzip as much as you can as you exit the water and then seek out a stripper to give you a hand. Here’s a short video from the strippers at the 2018 Patriot Half.
Transition 1: After exiting the water athletes will enter transition which will be set up right next to the swim out. After grabbing their bike they will exit transition on the bike out. Click here for a PDF map with an aerial view of Catherdral Camp detailing the swim in and bike out for the Patriot Half.
The Bike (Cut-off time: 12:45pm; REVISED COURSE FOR 2020): The 55-mile Patriot bike course is generally flat with some rolling hills that will occasionally force you to get up and out of your saddle. The loop is along country roads where you’ll pass farms, cranberry bogs and the scenic Pocksha Pond Causeway (get a glimpse of it with a click here).
Due primarily to deteriorating conditions on some roads utilized in the bike course of the 2019 Patriot Half, the 2020 Patriot bike course has been significantly revised. The new course will begin at Cathedral Camp and East Freetown and then go through Lakeville with a pass through the scenic Pocksha Pond Causeway. After riding through the Causeway, cyclists will enter Middleborough and complete a loop in Middleborough and Rochester two times before riding back into East Freetown for the last few miles of the 55 mile course. The 2020 Patriot bike course remains a generally flat ride with some rolling hills. The total elevation gain of 1,403′ is slightly less than the elevation gain of the 2019 course which was 1,558′. While the 2020 Patriot bike course does not include two passes of Cathedral Camp (resulting in one less spectating opportunity), the 2020 course features better road conditions and what we believe is an overall safer and more enjoyable ride. Click here to see a bike course map with turn-by-turn directions and a 2020 vs. 2019 course elevation profile.
Bike Course Nutrition and the Water Bottle Exchange: The Patriot will feature multiple water bottle exchange stations offering you opportunities to re-fuel during your ride. The water bottle exchange station is designed to be an additional resource for athletes. Athletes are encouraged to have 2 bottle cages on their bike to start the race filled with their preferred hydration drink. If they need to refuel the bottle exchange stations are available as your resource.
Bottle exchange stations will feature 24 oz. water bottles with water and 24 oz. Gatorade Endruance Formula sports bottles. If you would like to receive a bottle of water or Gatorade you will need to discard a water bottle as you approach the bottle exchange (there will be a soccer net set up for you to toss your water bottle into) and then call out to a volunteer what you want (water or Gatorade). The volunteer will jog along side of you and hand you your bottle. If you do not need anything from the bottle exchange we encourage you to stay left as you approach the bottle exchange to avoid cyclists that will be requesting a bottle. Athletes should assume any water bottle discarded is gone forever (while we will bring the discarded ones back to Cathedral Camp for proper disposal there will be hundreds of sticky, used bottles to go through to find your own).
Transition 2: Athletes returning from the bike course will enter transition through the bike in and re-rack their bikes before heading out on the run. Click here for a PDF map with an aerial view of Catherdral Camp detailing the bike out and run in for the Patriot Half.
The Run (Cut-off time: 3:00pm): The one loop 13.1 mile run is generally flat with some rolling hills including one short, but ill-timed hill around mile 12.5 of the run. Along the way you’ll pass farms and lakes and be greeted at nearly every mile with an enthusiastic volunteer-staffed aid station. All aid stations will feature water, Gatorade Endurance Formula and cola (flat). Oranges, pretzels and energy gels will be available at every other aid station. The last quarter mile of the run course is on the grounds of Cathedral Camp. Click here for a map of the run course and cue sheet. You must complete the run by 3:00pm or you will pulled from the course.
Run Course Nutrition: The run course will have aid stations at approximately every mile (11-12 total). All aid stations will offer water, Gatorade Endurance Formula (lemon-lime flavor) and flat cola. Every other run aid station will feature oranges, pretzels and Clif energy gels.
The Triathlon Skills Training Camp will be Saturday, June 6, 2020, at Cathedral Camp in East Freetown, MA (site of the Patriot Half). While this camp is for any triathlete looking to get more out of their triathlon training, it is especially valuable to athletes participating in the Patriot Half as it includes swimming, cycling and running on part of the Patriot course to be encountered on race day.
Click here to visit the Triathlon Skills Training Camp page for complete details on this camp.
Note that we offer an Active Military Personnel Registration Discount. To claim this discount email Mark at info@SunMultisportEvents.com for details. You must provide proof of your current active service.
Beneficiaries of the 2020 Patriot:
A portion of the proceeds from the Patriot Half go to the various community groups that volunteer to help produce the event. 2019 beneficiaries included the Whitman Food Pantry, Middleborough Demolay, St. Joseph’s ACTS of Fairhaven, MA and others. Many of these groups are expected tp return in 2020.
The Patriot is based at Cathedral Camp in East Freetown, MA, about 50 miles directly south of Boston and 40 miles east of Providence, RI. The street address is 167 Middleboro Road, East Freetown, MA.
Directions if driving from the Boston area…
Take I-93 South to Rte 24 South to Route 140 South (exit 12). Take Rte 140 to exit 8 for Chace Road, East Freetown/Lakeville. Coming off the exit make a right on Chace Road. Go straight through the next intersection where Chace Road becomes Mason Road and take Mason Road to the end (< 1 mile). At the end of Mason Road make a left onto Middleboro Road and Cathedral Camp will be about 1 mile down the road on your left at 167 Middleboro Road.
Directions if driving from Providence…
Take I-195 East to exit 14 and at the end of the ramp take a left at the stop sign, go under I-195 and take an immediate left to get back onto I-195 heading south (this is necessary because exit 13B for Rte 140 is closed for construction). Take Rte 140 North to exit 8 for Chace Road, East Freetown/Lakeville. Coming off the exit make a left on Chace Road. Go straight through the next intersection where Chace Road becomes Mason Road and take Mason Road to the end (< 1 mile). At the end of Mason Road make a left onto Middleboro Road and Cathedral Camp will be about 1 mile down the road on your left at 167 Middleboro Road.
Athletes and spectators have two areas to park on the grounds of Cathedral Camp with additional options for spectators across the street.
The WEST Lot is for athletes and spectators. It opens at 5am and is right next to transition. This lot typically fills by 5:30am/5:45am and is the most convenient for athletes. Once filled, no cars will be admitted to this lot for the rest of the day and cars parked here will not be able to leave until 1pm due to cyclists and runners using the access road to this lot during the race.
The EAST Lot is for athletes and spectators. It opens at 5AM and cars that park in this lot may leave throughout the day, however, no cars will be admitted into this lot between 8:30am and 2pm. Starting at 8:30am, arriving spectators will be directed to park across the street from Cathedral Camp at either New England Stamped Concrete or Southcoast Chapel Mortuary.
Click here for a downloadable map of Cathedral Camp that shows the location of these parking lots.
Host Hotels for the Patriot Half
Recommended hotels for athletes and spectators attending the 2020 Patriot Half:
FAIRFIELD INN MIDDLEBOROUGH: Book your room at the Fairfield Inn by May 19, 2020 and you’ll get a rate of $155 for a room with two double beds or a room with one king size bed. The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast and is located at 4 Chalet Road, Middleboro, MA which is about 11 miles from Cathedral Camp, site of the race. Click here to book your room online or call them at 508-946-4000 and make sure to mention the Patriot Half to get this special rate.
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS: The Holiday Inn Express room rate is $154 for 1 king bed or 2 queens and the cut-off date for this rate is May 29, 2020. The hotel is located at 43 Harding Street in Middleboro, MA which is about 11 miles from Cathedral Camp, site of the race. Call them at 508-942-3398 to make your reservation over the phone and be sure you mention the Patriot Half to secure this rate.
COURTYARD RAYNHAM: The Courtyard Raynham is located at 37 Paramount Dr Route 44, Raynham, MA which is approximately 14 miles from Cathedral Camp, site of the race. The room rate is $159 for 2 queen beds and the cut-off date to secure this rate is 5/19/20. Click here to book your room online or call them at 508-822-8383 to book your room and be sure to mention the Patriot Half to secure this rate.
HAMPTON INN RAYNHAM-TAUNTON: This hotel is located at 600 New State Highway in Raynham, MA and is 14 miles from Cathedral Camp, the race site. The room rate is $149 for a room with a King or two Queens. Click here to book your room now or you can call them at 508-822-6222.
Volunteers are the backbone of any good triathlon. If you aren’t racing in the Patriot Half but want to be a part of the action, help support the event as a volunteer. All volunteers (minimum 3 hour commitment) get a free ticket to the post-race catered meal and the satisfaction of contributing your support to the athletes that are giving it their all in this long distance triathlon. From pre-race set up on Thursday and Friday, June 18-19th, to any of the varied jobs on race day, Saturday, June 20th, we can use your help.
Click here to see a list of volunteer jobs, the time commitment and other volunteer details for the 2020 Patriot Half.
RAISE MONEY FOR YOUR COMMUNITY GROUP! We work with various community groups that bring volunteers to our races in exchange for a donation. If you’re looking to raise money for your organization and can bring volunteers to our event send Mark an email at info@SunMultisportEvents.com for more info.
Attention community groups: Are you looking to raise money for your organization or your designated charity? We can help! We believe in the value of building strong relationships with local community groups and work with many across our events. Volunteer to help at our races and we’ll make a donation to the charity of your choice. If you are looking to raise money for a good cause email us at info@SunMultisportEvents.com… we’d love to hear from you.
Event Cancellation: The 2020 Patriot Half is protected by an event cancellation policy that will give athletes a full refund if the event is canceled due to adverse weather or natural catastrophe. This policy is made by possible by haku, our race registration platform partner, who has contracted directly with an insurance company.
Course changes: Event Management reserves the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any portion of a race at any time in the interest of athlete safety or for other reasons beyond our control. No refunds will be issued after the refund request deadline (below) if changes are made to a race due to these circumstances.
Refunds: Refunds may be requested by March 31, 2020. Refunds will be issued less a $50 processing fee. Refund requests must be submitted via email to info@SunMultisportEvents.com. Refund requests received after March 31, 2020 will be denied. Note that any USAT fees collected during the registration process are transmitted directly to USAT and are, therefore, not refundable by SME (contact USAT to submit a refund request). Online processing fees are also non-refundable.
Deferral requests: Deferral requests must be submitted in writing to info@SunMultisportEvents.com. Deferrals may be granted under certain circumstances (e.g. injury, pregnancy, military transfer) at the discretion of Event Management. An athlete that is granted a deferral will be required to pay a deferral fee when they redeem the deferred entry for the following year’s race (deferrals must be redeemed for the following year’s race and can not be carried over for 2 or more years). Deferrals granted for the 2020 Patriot Half must be redeemed for the 2021 Patriot Half. The deferral eligibility and fee schedule is as follows:
- Deferrals requested by 3/17/20 will pay a $25 deferral fee
- Deferrals requested between 3/18/20 and 4/30/20 will pay a $50 deferral fee
- Deferrals requested between 5/1/20 and 5/15/20 will pay a $75 deferral fee
- NO DEFERRALS WILL BE GRANTED AFTER 5/15/20
Transfers to other SME races: Registered athletes that are unable to race may transfer to another 2020 SME race. Transfer requests must be made no less than 30 days from the race date. If the registration fee for the race transferred to is LESS than the registration fee already paid, the difference in price is forfeited. If the registration fee for the race transferred to is MORE than the registration fee paid you will be required to pay the difference in registration fees. Note that any USAT fees collected during the registration process are transmitted directly to USAT and are, therefore, not refundable by SME (contact USAT for a refund request). Online processing fees are also non-refundable.
Switching to the Patriot Half Aquabike: If you are registered for the Patriot Half Triathlon and for whatever reason (lack of training, injury, etc.) you don’t feel able of completing the run you have the option to switch to the Patriot Half Aquabike category. The Aquabike consists of the same 1.2 mile swim and 56 mile bike as the triathlon with no run. Requests to switch to the Aquabike must be submitted to Mark at info@SunMultisportEvents.com 30 days or more days before the event.
The exchange, transfer or sale of entries to other athletes: The exchange, transfer or sale of entries to other athletes is strictly prohibited.